INTERKLAST upgraded the CISCO powered backbone DWDM network in Vodafone Ukraine
In the course of the project, INTERKLAST team performed a number of tasks including
- Audit of all existing channels and installed network equipment;
- A new network architecture has been developed with the transition from point-to-point topology to ROADM nodes topology and further to the adoption of Mesh topology based nodes;
- A plan for a phased upgrade of the existing network was developed and implemented with the maximum reuse of existing equipment while simultaneously introducing new technologies;
- The implementation plan included not only installation of equipment on separate nodes, but also the transfer of equipment between nodes within the multiplex section to maximize the efficiency of existing equipment utilization and to ensure the minimal idle time of working channels;
- New 100 GB cards were installed;
- The channel plan was optimized and the frequency range of the optical network was efficiently allocated, taking into account the characteristics of all available equipment (100Gb – 40Gb – 10Gb – STM16 (2,5) – 1G);
- Required throughput on all elements of the network was provided, enabling the introduction of new technologies and satisfying requests from channel users;
- Automatic redundancy of optical channels (WSON) capability of the network operation was confirmed, which was also one of the results of a network upgrade.
As a result of the project, the maximum possible throughput of the DWDM backbone network was increased (from 320GB to 4TB), manageability and reliability of operation and simplicity of network maintenance were achieved while extensively reusing existing equipment, thus reducing upgrade cost for the customer.